[21 Day Fix} Cornbread Dressing
In the South cornbread dressing is served with chicken or turkey. Other parts of the country have a bread "stuffing" but we love our dressing.
- 1 recipe cornbread, cold and crumbled
- 2-3 slices toasted whole wheat bread, cold and crumbled
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3-4 cups cold chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium
- 2 tablespoons + 2teaspoons butter, cut into slivers
Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with olive oil.
In a large bowl crumble the cornbread and toast into small pieces set aside.
Cook celery, onion, and 2 tablespoons water in a covered microwavable bowl. Add to the bread bowl.
Add all the rest of the ingredients. Start with 3 cups of broth and use more to make sure it is really wet. You want to see it "puddle" in places across the top of the mixture.
Pour mix into the greased casserole dish.
Scatter cut-up cold butter across the top of the pan.
Bake for 45-60 minutes or until golden and set firm.
21 Day Fix/Ultimate Portion Fix Container Counts for 1/9th of pan: