This spaghetti casserole was a staple on my table when my boys were little guys. But I needed to come up with a healthier version of my Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole. To be honest it was a way to use up and stretch out leftover spaghetti from a few nights before. I STILL do it that way fairly often!
This recipe is going to start from scratch making a basic spaghetti. If you were going to use leftover spaghetti you can just start building your casserole with the other ingredients, then use the same layering and cooking instructions.
Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole Ingredients
Most of the ingredients are basic ones we use on the 21 Day Fix. Whole wheat noodles, lean ground beef, onions, mushrooms, sauce, egg, and cheese are all mixed together into gooey goodness.
I use a jarred sauce for convenience. There are plenty of store-bought options that are approved for the 21 Day Fix. I have the information HERE. You could also use canned mushrooms too. You can use the information in this post to figure out how to measure dry pasta. Info HERE.
Getting the ingredients ready
You have to cook a few of the ingredients before you can assemble the casserole. Such as cooking the noodles, and making the meat sauce, plus the egg and cheese mixtures. You will end up with a 9 x 13 casserole ready with olive oil spray and 3 different mixtures.
The spaghetti mixture is the 1st layer to go into the pan. Use 1/2 of the mixture.
Then layer 1/2 of the egg-ricotta mixture and layer 1/2 of the cheese mixture.
Make a layer of everything again. The spaghetti mixture, egg mixture, and cheese mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees until bubbly and golden.
This casserole serves 6 so I cut lines in the top of it to portion it out. This is a very moist casserole so I let it set for 10 minutes to let the super melted cheese has a chance to “harden” back up a little. If I can’t wait the 10 minutes I just expect it to be extra gooey!
Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole
- 3 cups spaghetti, cooked
- 1 pound ground beef, browned
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce
- ⅔ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ⅔ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cups light ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp each, dried italian seasoning, and garlic powder
- ½ tsp each, salt and pepper
- olive oil spray
- Cook spaghetti noodles and set aside.
- Brown ground beef, onions, and garlic. Drain of grease.
- Add sliced mushrooms and sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Gently mix in spaghetti sauce and cooked spaghetti noodles. (Start with 1 cup and then only add enough to make the mix wet but not soupy.)
Egg Mixture and Cheese Mixture
- Mix ricotta cheese, eggs, spices, and set aside.
- Mix shredded cheeses, and set aside.
Assembling the Layers
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with olive oil spray.
- Add 1/2 of the spaghetti mixture to the dish.
- Add 1/2 of the egg mixture and spread it around evenly.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese mixture, sprinkled evenly.
- Repeat the layers. Spaghetti-Egg-Cheese.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is browned. Let set 10 minutes before serving.
Portion Fix/21 Day Fix Container Counts for 1/6th of recipe: 1R, 1Y, 1B, 1G