West Tennessee is home for me, right outside of Memphis, and that is about as “Southern” as you can get!
A staple every Southern in every household in the hot summer is a cold potato salad. Big stack of grilled burgers?? Potato salad goes great! Going to a party and need to bring a dish?? Potato salad to the rescue!
Because of my new eating lifestyle, I have taken my old recipe and started measuring the ingredients (instead of the old “eyeball” method) so that I can assure that it fits inside of my 21 Day Fix guidelines.
I used to boil my potatoes whole till done and then chill in the jacket… BUT with my new Instant Pot, I don’t have to heat my house up with a big pan of boiling water!
I like to cook my potatoes and eggs early in the day, or even the day before, and chill them before I peel them. I personally do not use eggs in my servings of this because of an egg allergy but traditional recipes all have boiled eggs in them.
Because we have left the skin/jacket on the potato we now have to peel it. It isn’t like peeling a raw potato though… all you basically have to do is scrape the skin off.
I am making 6 servings. I started with 6 small potatoes or about 3 cups of cubed cooked potatoes. That is going to be 6 1/2 cup/yellow containers for my 21 Day Fix followers, I use 3 orange containers of dressing.
The amount and types of onion and pickles depend on your personal tastes. I prefer yellow onion and sweet pickles but some people use red onion and dill pickles, any way you like is perfectly fine. I chose 1/2 cup of each for this bowl.
If you are going to add eggs I usually do 1 egg per cup of potato so 3 eggs would go in here too. Sometimes I add extra veggies into my servings, celery, bell pepper, cucumber, radishes any crunchy veggie works for me.
A simple mayo, mustard and pickle juice dressing is all I use for this salad. If you use dill pickle juice you might have to add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of raw sugar to the dressing to tame down the vinegar taste a little.
Sometimes my potatoes may soak up more of the dressing than I expect, such is the nature of a potato, so I mix up a second batch of the dressing and add to the salad.
I measure this in my yellow container or 1/2 cup plus a couple of tablespoons, I just love to see my square food!
Southern Style Potato Salad
- Instant Pot, but not needed
- 6 small white potatoes, about 3 cups cubed, cooked Cook potatoes whole in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes on manual with natural release in the Instant Pot or boil covered in water about 20-30 min or till fork tender. Cool in fridge till cold, 3-4 hours or overnight. Peel and cube.
- ½ cup onion, diced any variety you prefer
- ½ cup pickle, chopped sweet or dill
- 3 large eggs, boiled, chopped
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard yellow or spicy brown
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice from the pickles you use
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Mrs. Dash
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Mix potatoes, onion, pickles, and eggs in a bowl. Stir in dressing. Chill for a few hours for flavors to set. Stir and serve cold.
- Mix all ingredients. Pour over salad. (if you like more dressing on your salad you can double the dressing)
Ultimate Portion Fix/21 Day Fix Containers
- serving size ½-⅔ cup - 1 Yellow, 1/2 Orange OR 1 Orange if you double the dressing, not enough Green or Red containers to count
Enjoy this cold salad on a hot day with a big ol’ jug of iced tea and pretend you are in the south with me!